Humanitarian organizations are increasingly turning to drones to support disaster response efforts. Yet many fail to use this technology effectively. Why? First, the majority of humanitarian organizations and drone companies are overly focused on the technology, which is problematic since technology is at most 5% of the solution in humanitarian drone missions. Second, they seem unable or unwilling to localize drone missions. In short, the use of drones in humanitarian action continues to be a largely top-down, techno-centric affair.
Participants in this training will learn everything they need to know to lead safe, responsible and effective humanitarian drone missions. Drones are at most 5% of the solution. This training covers the other 95%. Please see the video on the left and this syllabus for an overview of the key topics covered. The training is fully updated every year and also includes a special session on the use of drones in response to the COVID-19 emergency. Certificates of completion are signed by WeRobotics, Direct Relief, MIT and UPenn.
Scroll down for detailed course information.